Activities for the public
Click on the link above to view the full list and register to attend events such as:
- public open days,
- stargazing for families and the public,
- stargazing for Brownies and Cubs working towards astronomy/stargazing badges,
- the free monthly 'Talking Science' lectures on a series of fascinating topics,
- ...and much more!
Anyone can take part in our online citizen science project being developed on Zooniverse. Contribute to real climate change research by looking at beautiful images of Eath and spotting the clouds! The project is open to the whole family; people of all ages and backgrounds can take partand learn about RAL Space's technology used to capture stunning images from satellites, as well as the importance of this research for monitoring our planet.
Girlguiding and Scout groups can get involved with a free challenge by completing a series of fun and engaging hands-on activities to introduce young people to the skills used in different science and engineering careers. The challenge is suitable for all age groups and was designed by a team of graduates, inspired by their own job roles at RAL Space and experience as Girlguiding or Scout leaders.
Activities for schools
To be added to the schools mailing list to hear about any upcoming events, please email the RAL Public Engagement team using the link above. Examples of recurring and previous school events include:
- National Particle Physics Masterclass for sixth form students with talks by particle physicists from RAL and CERN,
- Ada Lovelace Challenge day for Year 8 and 9 students to learn programming and complete an exciting computing challenge.
- Education access days for Key Stages 2, 3 and 5 to meet scientists and engineers and take part in tailored workshops.
Many RAL Space staff, scientists and engineers participate in external outreach activities in schools through the STEM Ambassador programme, coordinated by STEM Learning Ltd. To connect with ambassadors or find ambassadors to lead or support your own school activity, visit the STEM Learning website.
Top: Members of the public using our telescopes at a stargazing event at RAL. Credit: STFC RAL Space.
Bottom: Beavers dressing up in clean room suits at RAL Space to celebrate World Space Week 2017. Credit: STFC RAL Space.