The RAL Space ground station comprises of four antennas positioned across two sites. The Rutherford Appleton Laboratory at Harwell has a 2.4m and a 12m antennae; located at Chilbolton, Hampshire are both 4.5m and 25m antennae. The two sites are separated by 40 km thus providing operational redundancy.
The ground station serves the scientific community and undertakes work for commercial clients.
Following the establishment of the International Science and Innovation Centre (ISIC) at Harwell, the RAL Space ground station will provide services and facilities to ISIC.
• Cubesat compatible (primary g/s for UKube-1 which is to be launched in early 2012)
• X-band downlink on 4.5m enables high speed data acquisition
• S-band uplink on 12m provides critical LEOP support, S-band downlink
• 25m antenna is suitable for weak signal reception (upgradeable to Ku-band)
• CCSDS compatible telemetry
• Generation of tracking data for all spacecraft
• High speed internet connectivity from both sites
• Latest computer systems
• State-of-the-art RF hardware equipment from Zodiac and SSBV
• Satellite Tool Kit software (full version)
• Flexible operations services